Powered by Blogger.
RSS

How to find the “Hidden Job Market”

http://www.snagpad.com
We hear about the hidden job market all the time.  Job seekers are pressed by professional advisors to focus the majority of their job search effort and time on this one area, yet it seems to be allusive and difficult to uncover.  Yoda says, “Where is this hidden job market of which you speak?”

Most know the hidden job market represents job opportunities found through one’s personal network.  Generally, opportunities are found through “weak ties” - second degree contacts like a friend of a friend.  The difficulty most run into is in having a method and tool to tap their network.  This is a new muscle being required to exercise and many feel uncomfortable flexing it.   People have been trained to do a job, not to find a job.  So when it comes to “putting yourself out there” to network for a job, it’s a bit uncomfortable and many find any other job search activity to do, other than network. 

Tapping your network to find a job is one thing.  Getting results from that network is another.  I discovered there are two inherit faults to “networking” for a job.  One is that networking is manual and short lived per contact.  Communicating to my network is typically a one-off effort.  “Hey, I want you to know I’m in a job search, so keep me in mind.”  You are lucky if you stay top of mind with your audience though end of day.  People are busy and they forget.  The second fault in networking for a job is that it is not scalable and repeatable.  You have a limited means to reach people to tell your story and to stay in front of them during your search. 

I set out to address these faults and make it easier for individuals to leverage their network to uncover the hidden job market – where most people end up finding their next job.  The result creates a new social network, dedicated strictly to the job search effort.  I built this tool within SnagPad and call it SnagCast.  Here’s how it works. 

First an individual invites people they know and trust to support their job search via email.  They inform these folks that they are in a job search and that they will periodically update the network of supporters on their job search progress.  Supporters are instructed that they are not bound to anything, only to provide feedback when they come across an opportunity or contact that they feel is relevant to the search.  

Supporters then essentially “opt-in” to support my job search.  To automate and scale the process, my supporters automatically receive an email from me once a week, that reminds them that I am in a job search and lists the ideal job I am searching for.  Further, four of the most recent job opportunities I found are shown and links are provided for my supporters to automatically respond to me if they have a tip, comment or suggestion.  It may be related to one of the companies shown, the industry, a contact or something about my ideal job listed. 

This method helps me stay top of mind with my network on a consistent basis, while refreshing information about my search.  SnagPad helps automate this process, but an individual can certainly replicate this on their own using reminders in their email program of choice.  Networking can be hard, but developing a method to network and having a tool to organize the approach can make it easier and effective.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment